Monday, August 3, 2009

ON AGING: a poem

Get up in the morning got a sore back
A cold, damp day can throw me off track.
Medicines of all kinds lined up in a row
Seems they’re all needed to stay on the go.

Up in the night to take a weak pee
Sometimes I wish I wasn’t me.
Blood tests and doctors all part of the plan
To stay on my feet, to stay a whole man.

Vision and hearing aren’t what they were
Gravity’s damage will surely occur.
Golden years are touted by the AARP
More like old lead if you were to ask me.

Flatulence, heartburn long sleepless nights
Bony old legs, age spots in sight.
Skin on my chin and butt hanging low
Don’t really know what’ll be next to go.

Read the obits to see if I’m there
Having some trouble getting out of my chair.
Some things that should be readily up
Need more help like a lost little pup.

But one thing is sure, one thing is true
An old guy can complain it’s surely his due.
Deep down inside he knows he’s got a great life
With grandkids and kids and a tolerant wife.

2 comments:

Peter Bourey said...

Now this is my kind of poem....funny and disturbing all wrapped up in ryhme. It doesn't get any better than that!

Mom2two said...

Nice one dad...a little gross though with the pup thing. Trying to picture some other old man and not you. :) he he