Tuesday, July 7, 2009

NATURAL WONDER

NATURAL WONDERS July 7, 2009

Yesterday I was driving in town and came up to one of the interminably slow traffic lights that plague Dover. Ahead of me were several cars, the closest being a dark blue Ford Expedition. As I was waiting for the light to change I noticed a small crow land on the luggage rack of that SUV. It was kind of hanging on there and occasionally flapping its wings. The light changed and we all started moving forward and making our turns or proceeding straight through the intersection. I noticed the crow lifting off in a kind of tentative way and held my turn back a little bit. I lost sight of the bird and as I was nearing the end of my left turn I suddenly saw a black shape drop and smack into my windshield. The bird slid up and once again I lost sight of its feathery form.

As I proceeded down the highway I looked in the rearviews to try and see what the fate of the poor creature had been. At first I didn’t see any sign of the bird. Then I noticed some movement in my pick-up truck bed. There it was, kind of staggering and dazed, but definitely alive. Thinking that the crow would fly out of the truck as I drove along or when I stopped at another traffic light I continued on my way. But it stayed right where it was. As I got a chance to observe the bird I noticed that it was most likely a fledgling just out of the nest and learning to fly. When I would stop the bird would look expectantly towards the sky as if searching for some sort of guidance. Since I’m not sure if crows have any concept of a Supreme Being I made the assumption that it was looking for a parent bird.

When I pulled into my driveway that young crow was still sitting in the back of the truck. I cautiously walked to the tailgate (I’ve seen that movie “The Birds” and I know the kind of damage a crow can do) and lowered it so the bird could more easily escape. But it just sat there. I went in to the house and went about my usual business occasionally looking out the window to see if the crow was still there. It was.

My wife got home from work around six and she noticed that the bird was moving around in the truck bed. A little while later it was flapping its wings and kind of flying and jumping to the roof of the truck then back down again. At one point it flew up to an air conditioner unit that sticks through a wall in the carport and hung on there, flapping its wings vigorously. Just before dark I looked out and the crow was no longer in the truck or the carport. But I heard a high pitched cawing and going around to the back yard saw the bird hanging out near one of my wife’s flower beds.

A more sensitive guy would have thought of the dangers that the baby crow was facing from the deadly cats that roam our neighborhood who spend their time routinely killing and eating birds, squirrels and bunny rabbits. I guess I did think about that but I figured if the little beggar was going to make it in this world he’d have to do it without me preparing a protective shelter and feeding it whatever crows might eat. So I went to bed.

This morning the crow was hiding out in the hedges along the side of our backyard. It seemed in no worse shape than last night but it had increased its noise output quite a bit. It would caw incessantly for ten minutes or so, take a two minute break and then start the ten minute routine again. Birds, especially crows, can really annoy me. I decided that I would give the thing until lunch time. If it hadn’t moved on I would trap it and transport it to a different location, probably the yard of someone that I’m not on the best of terms with. But when I went out to the yard a little while ago I couldn’t find the little crow. I scoured the yard for a sign of feathers and blood but there was nothing. So I’m assuming the little guy got his wings working and took off to find his kinfolk. Although, considering how quickly birds grow up, he (or maybe she) might be out looking for a mate. I’m just glad it’s gone.

Now I have to go clean up a mess of bird poop from the roof and bed of my pick-up truck. Dirty birds.

Have a fine day.

2 comments:

Peter Bourey said...

Great story Cuz. I guess the term birdbrain was coined for a reason. I'm glad you didn't have to tend to a bird carcass. Enjoyed the read. True story?

Hammster said...

Those crows are full of crap!!!!
They are getting bigger and seem to have quite an attitude.

I have also seen the birds and when you see a bunch you start thinking of Alfred Hitchcock.