Sunday, August 25, 2013

Crazy News


News articles on the internet have caught my attention over the past couple of days.  That’s never a good thing.  A lot of the stories fuel a smoldering anger.  Others leave me slack-jawed at the human capacity for blatant displays of ignorance.  Still others make me fearful as I see the nearly constant increases in all kinds of violence.  And of course there are the never ending stories of celebrities and their constant drive to attract attention.

But today I’ve been thinking about an ongoing story that has become a minor political issue.  At least the media would have us believe that it is an issue.  This story is about the military individual who was convicted of the unauthorized release of classified materials and for that crime was sentenced to a very long prison term.  But that’s not the story that the news folks seem to be interested in.  No, the big story is that this young criminal wants the U.S. Army to provide him with sex change therapy, maybe even surgery, while he is incarcerated for the next thirty years or so.

Friends, I’m sorry but I’m about to say something that may cause the more sensitive and caring among you to cringe with pain and disdain.  This is nuts.  (Absolutely no pun intended)  To even consider such a request is nuts.  For reporters, who like to think of themselves as serious people, to write and broadcast this nonsense is completely and utterly nuts.  I don’t feel sorry for the guy/gal.  I have no doubt that he’ll find much support for this insanity from folks who share his problem.  Too bad.  He was a man when he committed his crime and a man he should stay until he gets out of the slammer and on Obama-Care.  And that’s only if he can afford to pay for that notion of a “right” to health insurance.

Some of my friends may think that the humanitarian response to a young man who feels he should be a woman would be to arrange the necessary medical alterations at the taxpayer’s expense.  At the risk of seeming to be trans-gender-phobic I must voice my opinion.  Here it is.  Baloney!  My opinion has nothing to do with that particular non-issue.  Of course my opinion is just my opinion.  But my tax money should at least be used for expenses more in line with normal military expenditures.  I wouldn’t mind at all if my taxpayer dollars were used to buy ammunition for the execution by firing squad of the radical Islamist Fort Hood terrorist.  I guess that’s a little harsh.  But that’s what happens when I read the news.  I lose my tolerance for all kinds of things.

This story, along with all of those about young men killing people for no apparent reason beyond boredom or racial hatred, has forced me (again) to lay off the news for a week or so.  Some of you have told me that ignoring all the daily insanity of the wider world is irresponsible or worse.  Maybe.  But it’s the only way I can have a fine day.  You’ll have to find your own method.

So go have a fine day any way you can.

No comments: