Sunday, November 2, 2008

Scattered Thoughts from a Scatterbrain

BEING SCATTERBRAINED AS AN ART FORM November 2, 2008


Last night while having dinner, one of our dinner companions said that a person that she had shared meals with recently made “sex sounds” while eating. I wondered if that same person, or others, might make eating sounds while having sex.

I probably should have labeled this article as having adult content.

The economy is going down the tubes. That’s all that we’ve been seeing and hearing lately. If that is a fact then somebody should tell all those folks out there spending money to knock it off. Maybe people in your area haven’t started their Christmas shopping but around here the bargain hunters are loose and purchasing is prolific. And I’ve seen plenty of cash transactions in addition to credit card buying. Maybe Wall Street isn’t the only segment of the economy in existence. Or perhaps we just live in a more fortunate area than the places the news media is covering.

Fish have a highly developed sense of smell, according to people who study that stuff. I wonder if old and stinky fish become repulsive to their neighbors after a while. Further study may be required.

I tried to start up posting my blogs on the Google blogging site. Unfortunately technology reared its ugly head, raised its hammer and smacked me down. Apparently having a super slow dial-up connection is a disadvantage at times; namely every time I use this dang computer. If I wasn’t such a cheap old curmudgeon I would get on some kind of faster service. But I’d rather complain, I guess.

This isn’t really about politics but about some folks’ attitude towards the subject. Lately I’ve encountered several people who are really angry about the whole political process. They may still vote in the election but they absolutely refuse to discuss anything about candidates or issues. If I make an attempt to bring up the subject I’m told, in no uncertain terms, to shut up or talk about something else. Being the curious guy I am I’ve tried to figure out where this attitude comes from. It seems to be equally divided between the major parties. It seems to be most prevalent in women. And it is not more apparent in any particular socio-economic group. A great deal of the anger seems to be caused by the huge amount of constant advertising, and the money spent on it. Also the mean-spirited mudslinging is a particular irritant to women who (sexist generalization coming) have a kinder nature than men, at least publicly. Well in a few days the anger will dissipate. Or at least change to the election losers and whoever supported them.

Re-tried the Google blogspot set up and with the help of my youngest daughter had success. So now my little literary dribbling will have even wider circulation. That doesn’t mean people will read them but they’ll be out there.

One of my cousins recently went, with his wife, to the North Carolina state fair. They had a good time viewing exhibits and sampling the food offerings. He mentioned in his blog that there was a new addition to the ridiculously high calorie, high cholesterol foods for sale. It was deep fried pecan pie. They take a slice of pecan pie, dip it in a batter and drop it in the fryer. So now in addition to deep fried Oreos, Coca-cola, corn dogs and such, a whole new area of products can be exploited. How about deep fried lemon meringue pie? Or maybe deep fried Tootsie Roll Pops? Call the venture capitalists! I see an opportunity.

That’s it for this Sunday afternoon. Go and do something nice for somebody.

Have a fine day.

1 comment:

Hammster said...

Hi Jim.

You could have named your blog "Blathering Heights".

I know, what a Ham(m).

Keep up the Blogging.

Bill