Sunday, November 4, 2012

OPEN SEASON: LAST CALL

On the day after tomorrow a goodly number of us will be going to the polls to cast our votes. Some may be making their vote for revenge, some for love of country and still others as a part of their party obligation. My vote will be submitted in a spirit of civic duty and personal responsibility. That doesn’t make me nobler than any of those other folks; it’s just my own frame of mind.

Today, as soon as I finish this little article, I’m going to mentally withdraw from all the political ballyhooing and just review the options and see if my current choices can be shaken. I’ve noticed on the social media that a lot of folks are making last minute pitches for various points of view, referencing all kinds of research and claims drawing on the testimony of experts and political operatives. More power to them, I suppose.

Locally my votes are going to jump around the political spectrum a bit and will be largely in favor of those who have not held office before. In our state races I’m again pushing for folks who are running against incumbents. Delaware’s party machinery is so entrenched that my favorite candidates don’t have much of a realistic chance of winning. We have a very opaque (as opposed to transparent) state government with collusion and “good old boy” dealing going on all the time and involving every issue. Very little work is done on behalf of the citizenry as the politicians work so hard for their own personal gain. That’s not so different from other states I suppose, but in a state as small as ours one would think that it would be easier to oust the self-indulgent office holders. But it isn’t. Term limits would offer a partial solution.

When it comes to our congressional delegation I’m definitely voting against incumbents. Our lone congressman and the one senator who is up for re-election both need to be removed. They are both part of that spurious network of political opportunists that are intent on keeping their careers on track while paying lip service to their constituencies. They’re either very adept at feigning sincerity or they have come to believe in their own small messianic personae. Their acts fool enough of the people often enough, but it’s high time we quit believing their baloney and send them packing.

As for the presidential election, well, I’ve heard enough and had enough. If twenty percent of the reporting on the Benghazi tragedy is correct then that alone would be enough to clinch my decision against the incumbent. But I also happen to believe that the president is a divisive leader. He’s talked about bi-partisan cooperation but has done nothing of substance to back up his talk. Of course he’ll blame the opposition but I’ve seen enough news and read enough about congressional machinations to see that much of the blockage standing in the way of reform has been solely a product of his administration. That, in addition to his bigger government policies, indiscriminate spending, religious belief disrespecting and general moves towards more interference into the private lives of citizens has sent me more and more strongly to his opponent. There’s one more thing and it’s just a personal problem I suppose. I feel that our current president is an extremely egotistical person with very little sincerity in his public pronouncements. Ego is endemic to thinking one is suitable for the office. I’m sure his opponent has a large ego. But that opponent has some real solid accomplishments to show for his years of work. The incumbent president’s record is full of only political maneuvering and campaigning. And the last four years did not add anything substantial to that record.

Okay, I’m done now. If you agree with me, go and vote to prove it. If you disagree do the same. Although it won’t bother me too much if you disagree-ers stay home. I’m just kidding. Let your voice be heard. That’s the whole point of this exercise.

Have a fine day.

1 comment:

Peter Bourey said...

Jim,

Well stated as usual. My fear is all of these that proclaim Romney is out of touch because of his circumstance financially are really out of touch with our basic American ideal of the right of life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness.